Historic

USP Medical School:

the story in facts and photos

USP Medical School (FMUSP - Faculdade de Medicina da Universidade de São Paulo) is recognized for its pioneering and excellence in the areas of teaching, research and university extension. The Institution invests in modernization, technological innovation and educational platform, in addition to establishing partnerships with private initiative and expanding the internationalization process to be a reference educational center in the world.

To check how it all started and learn about the advances to the present day, click the highlighted dates.

1895

The first association of physicians of the State of São Paulo, the Society of Medicine and Surgery of São Paulo, was presided over by Pereira Barreto.

1912

The decree of creation of the Faculty of Medicine and Surgery of São Paulo is signed.

1913

Arnaldo Vieira de Carvalho, then clinical director of the Santa Casa de Misericórdia, assumes the direction of the Faculty.

In April, there is the inaugural class of the Faculty, which operates in facilities provided by the Álvares Penteado School of Commerce.

1914

The Faculty is transferred to Rua Brigadeiro Tobias, where it remains until 1931.

1919

The first group is composed of 27 doctors, including two women. Graduation was delayed due to the Spanish flu outbreak that affected students, professors and staff.

1920

Cornerstone of the headquarters building is laid on January 25th, across from the Araçá Cemetery.

1928

Construction of the main building begins, supported by Rockefeller Foundation, which promotes the introduction of new teaching and research standards.

1931

Completion of the construction and inauguration of the central building.                               

1934

The Faculty of Medicine is integrated to the University of São Paulo (USP).

1944

The Hospital das Clínicas is inaugurated, where clinical disciplines are taught.                    

1951

FMUSP received from the Executive Council of the American Medical Association the title of "A" standard, placing it among the 15 largest medical schools in the world.

1965

The first Latin American kidney transplant is performed at the Hospital das Clínicas of FMUSP.

1968

The first heart transplant was performed at the Hospital das Clínicas of FMUSP.

1975

The Medical Research Laboratory of the Hospital das Clínicas of FMUSP is created.

1990 a 2000

There are numerous pioneering clinical and surgical procedures, among which we highlight the birth of the first IVF baby in a public hospital; the first cochlear implant in Brazil in a patient with profound hearing loss; heart transplantation in the youngest Brazilian patient, a 20-day-old baby.

2011

FMUSP becomes the first medical school in South America to join the M8 Alliance, a global network of academic institutions of excellence in teaching and research.

2015

FMUSP promotes, for the first time, the Winter School, bringing together Brazilian and foreign students for a two-week program of educational activities in different areas.

2017

The Association of Academic Health Centers International (AAHCI), the representative of the Washington-based Association of Academic Health Centers (AAHC), opens on July 10 the regional office for Latin America and the Caribbean (LAC) represented by FMUSP.